Monday 23 September 2013

"It's All in The Hips"

Back to work today and one week left of Be the Change 30 Day Challenge.

Looking back, the time has flown. And I can honestly say that I have a home practice now. I think I have practiced more than I did in my teacher training. I'm even still journaling and checking in with my body, mind, and emotions before practicing.

I just came downstairs after finishing a half hour of freestyle hip-opening asana, hoping to plan a new class sequence. In Yoga classes you will probably hear your teacher talking about how our hips store a lot of our emotions, and in Yin style, or restorative classes, be prepared to release those emotions and have a box of Kleenex handy. Think about it: grudge holders sit and stew on their issues rather than talk them out and resolve their hurt feelings and old people have a life time of memories stored inside their bodies and they get tight and end up with injuries. We need to let things go and move and shake around in order to be our best selves.


Go Granny!

 
Mandlebaum!
 
 
And as Chubbs, from Happy Gilmour would say, "It's all in the hips!"
 
 
 
"I'm just easing the tension, baby"
 
 
And pardon me, but holy shit is there ever a lot of tension in my hips. I honestly spend most of my practices making faces and screeching. As a new teacher I am constantly practicing talking my imaginary class through the burn to find their edge, while smiling and joking about it. Its not surprising I have these goof-ball YouTube clips on this post. "I'm just easing the tension, baby!"
 
 
 

Right now I am enjoying some much needed alone time to decompress from the weekend and the first day of the week. The man's out at his softball game and Gus is sleeping by the door. I've been indulging in some self-care, asana, and possibly my fourth cup of herbal tea. Personal time and space is sacred. Revel in it when you have it.
 
Tomorrow is a busy day catering to a bunch of men in a board room. I'll be serving them coffee first thing in the morning and checking on the poor dears again before someone else brings their lunch. I need to recharge my energy to keep up with the Mandlebaum's.

No comments:

Post a Comment